I found some interesting and even surprising names on the top 1000 from around the turn of the century, I thought I would share them with you. Enjoy!
Aurora - this one surprised me a bit
Fairy - another surprise
Zoe - another surprise
Icie - Oo
Floy - Another surprise......
Harlow - both in the 800's for men in 1900, is this telling us something?
Addison - in the 700's in 1900 for men. Again - might this be telling us something?
Aubrey - number 259 for men in 1900, yes, I am definitely starting to see the trend.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
With the popularity of such boys names as The -Aydens, popular surname turned first names like Mason, Logan, and Jackson - I thought it might be nice to look at one of my favorite categories, those which I refer to as "grumpy old man" names. Ones that may feel clunky and old others, but I think feel like a breath of fresh air and are full of spunk and quirk. Think of the names of your great grandfather's and great uncle's.
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
The Top 10 from the Social Security site ( http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/) is always a hot topic and one I like to talk about - a lot of people either don't realize that a certain name is really popular or they really like it, but want an alternative because the popularity is off-putting. Here are some alternative ideas for the top 20.
- Sophia - Sophronia, Phoebe, Daphne, Seraphina, Phaedra, Lydia, Alessia, Cecilia, Sidonia, Sylvia, Serena.
- Isabella - Mirabelle, Annabelle, Arabella, Rosabelle, Rosamel, Daniella, Noelia, Estella, Luella, Eloisa, Isla, Ilythia, Ysabel, Ishbel, Isadora, Isotta, Isabeau, Isabetta, Isobel, Iolanthe, Isemay, Ismene
- Emma - Emmeline, Emilia, Gemma, Emmanuela, Emmelise, Emmelotte, Noemi, Emuna, Euphemia, Emiri, Emelda, Clementine
- Olivia - Livia, Liviana, Ottilie, Liv, Olive, Flavia, Octavia, Ottavia, Vivia, Sylvia, Lavinia, Viviana, Linnea, Louisa, Aurelia, Odelia, Ophelia, Olympia, Oralia, Zosia, Alodia
- Ava - Eva, Eve, Aveline, Ada, Ida, Ahava, Aveza, Avani, Navina, Avia, Avril, Aviela, Avis, Aviva, Nava, Avila, Ayla, Isla, Ilsa, Veda, Ivy, Vera, Aida, Aura, Elsa
- Emily - Emilia, Elysia, Alessia, Rommily, Cecily, Emiliana, Ilysa, Verity, Ellidh, Elodie, Eloise, Adelie, Esme, Eliza, Amity, Coralie, Sidonie, Eleni, Eleri, Clarity, Bellamy, Bryony (Briony)
- Abigail - Avigail., Aila, Abelia, Abia, Abiela, Abiona, Abira, Sabrina, Tabitha, Abrielle, Abilene, Alba
- Madison - Madeleine, Adeline, Alison, Madelaine, Madalena, Madira, Lison, Linden, Liron, Vivien, Caitlin, Maren, Jessamine, Kiersten, Aislinn, Jillian
- Mia - Lia / Leah/ Lea, Maia, Maya, Naia, Mariah, Laila, Lilia, Amira, Mira, Mara, Malia, Nyree, Eva, Mina, Nina, Thea, Nia
- Chloe - Zoe, Phoebe, Cora, Daphne, Cleo, Xanthe, Carys, Briony, Chloris, Cloelia, Noelia, Noemi, Cleophee
- Elizabeth - Elspeth, Elisbet, Elise, Eliza, Lisbeth, Elisabetta, Elisheva, Lilibet, Eliska, Ilsa, Bettina, Erzsi, Elowen, Elzira, Bethan, Elysia
- Ella - Elodie, Elsa, Alma, Isla, Iris, Lola, Kaia, Elise, Greta, Lena, Clara, Selma, Enya, Esme, Audra, Eula, Zillah, Alba, Anya, Lilia, Della, Lyra
- Addison - Adamina, Adelaide, Adelie, Adara, Adella, Adelise, Adonia, Adria, Adelina
- Natalie - Talia, Natasha, Nastasia, Thalia, Atalia, Tabitha, Talitha, Talisa, Tallulah, Nerissa, Noelia, Nadia
- Lily - Lilia, Liliane, Lilibet, Linnea, Lola, Luna, Leia, Leonie, Lia, Leda, Lucy, Lyra, Lana, Lula
- Grace - Verity, Clarity, Amity, Joy, Bliss, Blythe, Merry, Glory, Patience
- Samantha - Samara, Seraphina, Serena, Susannah, Soraya, Sariah, Tabitha, Selena, Calista, Tamara, Cassandra, Sunniva, Shoshannah
- Avery - Ariadne, Amy, Mary, Rosemarie, Bellamy, Mallory, Valarie, Kateri, Eleri, Kaveri
- Sofia - See Sophia (How did this happen? Same name in the top 20 twice, with different spelling - if it counts for anything I vastly prefer Sofia to Sophia).
- Aubrey - Audrey, Audra, Audrina, Audrea, Augusta, Aurelia, Aurora, Autumn, Aura, Audelia, Auriane, Ausra
- Jacob - Caleb, Josiah, Tobias, Julian, Gabriel, Jasper, Corbin
- Mason - Matthias, Calvin, Gavin, Aeson, Murphy, Martin
- William - Willem, Wilhelm, Illiam, Wyatt, Noam, Graham, Callum
- Jayden - Auden, Leighton, Keaton, Truman, Paxton, Easton
- Noah - Noel, Jonah, Milo, Noe, Miles, Amos, Evan, Ezra, Luca, Asa, Nolan
- Michael - Micah, Maxwell, Emmanuel, Nathaniel, Niall, Dashiell, Joel, Ezekiel
- Ethan - Eamon, Tristan, Deacon, Ian, Heath
- Alexander - Alasdair, Lysander, Evander, Asher, Thatcher, Archer, Leander, Dexter
- Aiden - Auden, Adrian, Finnian, Lorcan, Eamon, Ivan, Linden, Alden
- Daniel - Gabriel, Donovan, Dante, Katriel
- Anthony - Antony, Antoine, Antonio, Andre, Anatole, Angelus, Anton
- Matthew - Matthias, Matteo, Mathis, Maxwell, Maximus, Maksim
- Elijah - Eli, Elias, Elden, Elliot, Ellison, Ellery
- Joshua - Elisha, Asher, Euan, Elishua
- Liam - Eamon, Lachlan, Lorcan, Torin, Mannix, Seamus, Tiernan, Leo, Leopold
- Andrew - Anderson, Andre, Andreas, August, Anders, Andrick, Andrus
- James - Jamison, Seamus, Silas, Julian, Jude, Ace, Graham, Joel, Joss
- David - Devin, Alfred, Jared, Reid, Leland, Donald, Declan
- Benjamin - Bennett, Beckett, Benson, Bertram, Benedict, Barrett, Baxter, Winston, Aaron...
- Logan - Lorcan, Brogan, Egan, Teagan, Lucan, Duncan, Lachlan, Lorin, Louis
As you can see, there seem to be many more options for boys. Comment if you need pronunciation help. Thanks for reading!
Monday, June 18, 2012
The purpose of this blog is to share information and ideas regarding onomastics and anthroponymy. I've been a name lover for nearly a decade and I dedicate this blog to my CNL's new and old, you know who you are, you've all been a huge support and I love you dearly.
More to come soon.